M57 Dropping Magazines

General Discussion Forum.

M57 Dropping Magazines

Postby RP3543 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:14 am

My new Zastava M57 occasionally drops the magazine while shooting. At first I thought that it was just a couple of bad mags but it happens to all of them (I have four) intermittently. I've completely stripped, deburred and clean all the magazines and it still occurs.

To satisfy my curiosity, I removed the slide and hammer assembly from the frame, inserted a magazine and, using my thumb, pushed down on the top of the magazine that was protruding from the frame. None of the magazines dropped. Next, I pushed down and back, towards the rear of the frame and each magazine dropped! Apparently, the magazine catch does not engage the cutout in the magazine deeply enough to prevent them from disengaging under recoil.

What to do...
If I remove the magazine catch from the gun and remove some material from the button side of the catch, that should allow the mag catch to engage the cutout in the magazines more deeply. I've ordered a new (used) magazine catch from Buymilsurp.com to play with.

Question(s)...
- Has anybody else had this problem and how did you deal with/fix it?
- Could it be something else? Too much play in the rear of the magazine well?
TX
Bob
RP3543

Re: M57 Dropping Magazines

Postby Garandman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:10 pm

Two things come to mind, a weak mag catch spring, or they removed to much metal on the catch ( the catch could also have been milled at the wrong angle.
I have a couple of extra complete sets of these for the m57 around here somewhere. If I can find them, perhaps I can get some measurements for you.
Garandman
Sr.Member

Postby RP3543 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:25 am

Thanks for the reply!
RP3543

Postby RP3543 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:27 am

UPDATE:
Installed the "new" magazine catch from buymilsurp.com. Much better but, if I used an excessive amount of thumb pressure on the magazine, it would still drop. Pulled the catch out again and filed/stoned the button end of the catch, changing the overall length from .437" to .428". Now all my magazines stay put yet eject when the button is pressed.
Have to go to the range and run a bunch of rounds thru all the magazines to check function but I think the problem is solved.

-Quote from Garandman -"Two things come to mind, a weak mag catch spring, or they removed to much metal on the catch (the catch could also have been milled at the wrong angle)."
The overall length of the "new" catch and the original were identical at .437" The springs both appeared to be OK. The angle on the mag catch appeared to be identical as well, though the edge of the original looked "worn" where the catch engages the cutout in the magazine. This is a brand new gun so I was surprised that the edge of the part was not crisp. Maybe they're using surplus parts in these guns to keep the price down or they had a new guy at the final fit/function station or something...who knows. Not surprised that a $200 gun needs a little tuning.
Well, thanks for the help!
Bob
RP3543

Postby Garandman » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:11 am

Glad you fixed it. Sorry I could not be of more help. But as stated that's the great thing about the Tokarev, most work you can do yourself.
Garandman
Sr.Member

Postby davetheslave » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:06 pm

seen a guy on youtube that had the same problem and fixed it the same way.
davetheslave

Postby RP3543 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:40 am

davetheslave wrote:seen a guy on youtube that had the same problem and fixed it the same way.

Figures... I'll have to look for that video. Maybe he had a better way to remove the stupid split-pin then I did.
Thanks for the info.
Bob
RP3543

Postby davetheslave » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:03 pm

Think you can just push it out if you push right in center with right size pin.
davetheslave

Postby RP3543 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:58 pm

davetheslave wrote:Think you can just push it out if you push right in center with right size pin.

You're right. The proper tool is a pin that has a tapered counter-bore in the end of it. As you push on the pin, the end of the split pin rides up into the tapered counter-bore and collapses the split pin. Didn't have one and was way too lazy to make one. I should put it on my list of "things I'll probably never get to". I'll probably need to remove the catch again someday...hopefully not soon.
Bob
RP3543

Return to General Forum