Trigger jobs and half cock

General Discussion Forum.

Trigger jobs and half cock

Postby dancitizen » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:37 am

So I've been thinking...

The removable FCG on the tokarev makes trigger jobs an easy thing. Especially as the gunsmith doesn't need to have the customer's firearm to do it.

So I just bought 2 spare FCG groups, I believe they are 213's As soon as I take delivery I am going to figure out a jig for honing the sear and hammer. I intend to see how smooth I can make a tokarev trigger pull, I do not intend to lighten the pull terribly much.

I am hoping they have a half cock, as my M57 does not and I'd like to see if it would work in conjunction with the slide safety.

This will give me something to do while I keep plotting how to make a long slide and a compact model. I want to make a long slide in 9x23 winchester, I'm thinking a 7" barrel on a 6" slide with a barrel mounted comp, and a compact in 7.62x25 (a little shorter than an M88)
dancitizen

Re: Trigger jobs and half cock

Postby Garandman » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:45 am

The Chinese guns have half clock hammers. As do most others, except as you've noticed the Yugoslavian copies.
You can find extra hammers at a couple of places. I'll try and find you some links. I'd like to swap a couple myself in my guns. The yugo hammer pack in my Chinese/Russian/Yugo build has a very good pull. So I'm happy..
Garandman
Sr.Member

Postby dancitizen » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:05 pm

I just bought 2 at $30 each.

If I can find a quantity at more like $20 per unit I will buy a bunch, tune them and then resell them. I think there would be a small market for smooth, crisp, 3 pound tokarev FCGs... as long as they were cheap, as in under $50.

Who wants to spend $100 on a trigger job for a $200 gun?

Now if only I could sort out a DA conversion....
dancitizen

Postby muttman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:44 pm

The yugos not having half cock hammers is news to me, not that I'm even close to an expert, but my M57 does have a half cock, and it works fine with the frame thumb safety. I cannot vouch for the history of my particular pistol, but it sure seemed virtually new and original to me. I did a rather extensive trigger job on mine, polished the sear and reprofiled/polished the hammer and slightly softened the trigger spring. I also welded extra material on top/bottom of the actual trigger to fit it to the frame much tighter, no slop at all now, but the mag release has to come out to remove the trigger now. All this has made a trigger with about a 3 lb takeup and a 2 lb break like glass.

I also am in the early planning(plotting? :twisted: ) stages of a subcompact tokarev in 7.62x25. I think a pocket carry flamethrower would be sweet.
muttman

Postby Garandman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:46 am

I haven't check my m57 lately, but I could be wrong. Perhaps it's my TT 9 (m70a) that doesn't have half cock. Now I'm confused.. I think's it that, or I just read about guys who didn't have half cock on theirs??
I don't get mine out near enough.
As to a compact, get the M88 in 9mm. From what I've seen in pics, the frame is the same as the TT 33in height. It has a spaced bar in the magazine well. The Chinese pistols had the same thing. But it was held in place by a pin thru the frame. Pop the grips off , push the pin out, remove spacer, and the m88 will use regular tt 33mags.
Swap the barrel and you are about good too go. I just wouldn't have the skill to cut the barrel an inch. But it could run with the full 4,5 inch barrel
Saw your pics of the modified m57, Well done
I got a bargain m57 for 65 $ shipped. It was missing a fee parts. But nothing I didn't Havre In my parts pistol I couldn't borrow. To make sure it was worth buying more parts.
Bonus, the bore was great. I basically bought it for the magazine and the other parts.
It's gonna be a fun project if I ever finish the lat one. :)
Garandman
Sr.Member

Postby davetheslave » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:18 pm

My Zastava M70A does not have a half cock but if the hammer is down when you put the safety on the hammer moves back a little and the firing pin block goes in between, and the hammer moves back a little.
davetheslave

Postby dancitizen » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:17 am

I put a polish hammer pack with half cock into My M57A with the slide mounted safety.

So now my gun M57A can

Set to half cock, trigger and slide locked.
put on safety, this is drop safe and the gun can be cycled.
Can be carried cocked and locked.
dancitizen

Postby Garandman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:45 am

dancitizen wrote:I put a polish hammer pack with half cock into My M57A with the slide mounted safety.

So now my gun M57A can

Set to half cock, trigger and slide locked.
put on safety, this is drop safe and the gun can be cycled.
Can be carried cocked and locked.

Congratulations. But still be careful. No safety is 100 %
Garandman
Sr.Member

Return to General Forum