Problems with my new Romanian Tokarev

Talk about your Tokarev pistols or rifles.

Problems with my new Romanian Tokarev

Postby CHASGRIPS45 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:03 pm

Ok so here goes.J.G sales sent me a beauty, I cleaned it & went to the range. When I fire the gun, most of the time things go fine. Sometimes ,however the gun will feed a new round, fire the round,but the hammer will not come into battery again. The gun will go into "half cock" , I will have to manually bring the hammer back to its firing position. It seems to be getting worse. The gun just will not go back to battery! When the half cock condition occurs ,the whole gun is locked up,. I guess this is the safety originally built into the gun. I`ve tried pervipartisan, the Red army standard ammo . I`ve tried several magazines I`ve put a new Wolffe recoil spring in. Looks to me that the sear is engaging the notches on the hammer nicely, I`ve cleaned the gun thoroughly etc. What else? Different ammo S&B maybe ? The gun has beautiful smooth action ,it cocks, with the hammer back smoothly. The lockup between the slide &barrel seems ok,no marks on the slide or barrel. It just seems that something is preventing the hammer to go full back. Maybe the hammer does go full back but drops forward to half cock? Sure could use some expert help! It`s such a nice piece ,I wish it worked.
CHASGRIPS45

Re: Problems with my new Romanian Tokarev

Postby Garandman » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:22 am

This sounds like a worn or improperly cut notch in the hammer. Hammers are cheap, about 2" $ and easy to swap out yourself. If you have a friend with a Tokarev you can swap out the complete hammer assy and try it at the range and see if the problem goes away.
Also dried Cosmo could be clogging the full cock notch. You can strip down the hammer assembly and clean it out.
If you are good with a file you could try and deepen the notch.
Those are the ideas off the top of my head.
One more, it could be the disconector. Perhaps it is binding ?
I hope this is of some help.
Be sure and let us know how it comes out.
Welcome to the Tokarev club. Not a part on one you can't replace yourself.
P.S. if you remove the hammer, it's easiest to remove the hammer pin. And be careful it's under a lot of tension. Pressure...
Garandman
Sr.Member

Postby CHASGRIPS45 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:11 am

Thanks Garandman,I think it is an imperfection in the hammer notch. I said to hell with it & bought a new fire control assembly at Apex. We`ll see what happens!\
CHASGRIPS45

Postby Garandman » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:49 am

Well that should do it..
Garandman
Sr.Member

Return to Your Tokarev