Zastava M70A

Talk about your Tokarev pistols or rifles.

Zastava M70A

Postby davetheslave » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:35 pm

I love my Zastava M70A, 9mm. It is the coolest and funnest gadget I have ever owned. Only shot about 250 rounds through it, but I look forward to shooting it for years to come. Wish I would have known about these sooner. Only problem is moving the rear site. I have tried tapping it with a scrap piece of oak and a hammer, no luck. Think Bp Blaster would mess up the finish thinking of sprying the rear site with it to losen it up. I don't want to have to spend the money on a site tool. Made a little home made one, but rear site didn't budge. In all fareness, I didn't push it too hard. I used a small vice that I drilled a hole in that allowed me to put another screw in and used a small piece of copper inbetween the site and the screw end that I am using. I was worried about marking it up but the copper seemed to do a good job, just need to try it some more any ideas or input welcome.
davetheslave

Re: Zastava M70A

Postby Garandman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:03 am

Not much experience with moving the sights. I only did it once thirty years ago when I put a new one on my Russian. At the time I just used a regular hammer. Dumb I know.
You could clamp the slide in a padded vice and get a little more aggressive with the wood block and a hammer.
I've never used bp blaster. I've used dri slide, wd 40, 3 in one oil, RIG gun grease, none has ever harmed the finish.
Garandman
Sr.Member

Postby RP3543 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:32 am

Dave,
Tight little buggers, aren't they... . Your vise fixture should work, just use some WD-40 and a heat gun. Spray the sight, heat up the rear of the slide then apply some pressure with your vise. Walk away for half an hour and let it cool completely. When you come back, tighten the vise some more, re-spray and re-heat. Let it cool. Keep at it, be patient, and it will start to move. I would put a piece of copper or brass anywhere the vise/screw touches the sight/slide to preserve the finish.
Good luck!
Bob
RP3543

Postby davetheslave » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:34 pm

Finally used bp blaster, and luckily, I had this aluminum vice, and I used two pieces of pine covered with a rag on each side of the slide. Then a small piece of copper between the site and the screw for adjustment.
davetheslave

Postby davetheslave » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:36 pm

The copper is from a old piece of copper that was a old part from my hot water heater, that I pounded flat then filed the end so it wouldn't touch the finish. After I was done I used the wire brass bristle brush to clean off the copper, with some Hoppies 9. Looks good as new. It finally gave like a creaking tap noise then decided to move. That thing was tight I don't think these rear sites can be moved with a hammer, not on the Zastava M70A. I was lucky I had this funny shaped aluminum vice.
davetheslave

Postby RP3543 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:02 pm

Well done Dave!
Let us know if the PB Blaster does anything to the finish (It shouldn't but...)
Bob
RP3543

Postby davetheslave » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:05 pm

PB blaster on the rear site is a good idea. Been about 24 hours now with no discoloration. Before I sprayed the rear site, I tested the BP blaster on a small area inside the slide. Bp balaster is better than wd40 or other products because it has detergent in it, perfect for getting something to slide. Also, I cleaned all serfaces that could have gotten, Bp blaster on it with hoppies 9. Ready for some range time.
davetheslave

Return to Your Tokarev