My Custom M57 (in progress)

Talk about your Tokarev pistols or rifles.

My Custom M57 (in progress)

Postby muttman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:00 pm

Hi eveyone, new member here. I have been tinkering with my M57 for a few months now, but I think now I really want to get serious and make it my go-to pistol, even over my Sig M11-A1. First, let me get yall updated on the mods I have done so far.

As I got it. $265 from an individual at a gun show (my favorite way to buy guns). Slight holster wear, and virtually no feed ramp, sear...etc wear, and a perfect bore.

Here is where the heavy mods started.

Preparing for welding.

Bobbed hammed and extended slide release and safety(ended up not extending the safety).
muttman

Re: My Custom M57 (in progress)

Postby muttman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:22 pm

Right about now your probably thinking "Oh no, Bubba gots him welder mochine". Well, I did use a old Lincoln cracker box stick welder I modified into a TIG rig. Also, I have no machine tools. I used a 4.5" angle grinder, a dremel tool, and hand files. Anyway, here are the results of my efforts.

Starting to take shape.

Here are the 1/8" aluminum grips I made.

muttman

Postby muttman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:32 pm

Here are some better close ups of the metal work. It is all steel, no fillers/bondo.

Here are the grips freshly epoxy textured. I cleaned the edges and screw holes up later.
muttman

Postby muttman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:45 pm

I did a ton of work on the trigger to make it fit/feel better and also "skeletonized" it just to look cool. I drilled and tapped the dust cover in three places for a rail then epoxy bedded it. Also drilled and tapped the frame for the new grips.

muttman

Postby muttman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:54 pm

This is where I wasn't sure what direction I wanted to go with the pistol. I just wanted to get some range time with her, so I gave her a quick krylon bath to keep her from rusting.

Here she is now with the nonmatching compensator. I think she looked better a solid color.
muttman

Postby muttman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:20 pm

After putting multiple hundreds of rounds through her with nary a stoppage, I have decided that I like this pistol very much. After all the mods, especially the palm swell and beavertail, I can shoot her more accurately than any other pistol I own. So I have decided that it is time to bring her to the next level.

This is a list of what I want to do now:
Adjustable tritium sights or at least fiberoptic
High capacity magazines
Skeletonized slide
Adjustable trigger pretravel and overtravel (I'm not totally sure on this)
Refinish it.

I really like this drop leg holster I have been using, but it isn't compatible with my kilt..... time for a new holster :D .
muttman

Postby Garandman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:25 am

Welcome to the forum.

I must say you don't do anything by half measure. You're all in. I'm impressed. Most I've ever done is replace parts, and had a safety hole welded close.
She looks great.
I'm wondering what mags you would use for a high capacity mod. Plus you'd have to open the frame. But I can see you doing it.
Garandman
Sr.Member

Postby muttman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:36 am

Thanks, I am learning as I go. When this project is complete I might have the most customized tok out there, ha.

The high cap mags will be long single stacks, I love the slimness of toks and wouldn't want to give that up. I played with welding some taiwanese CZ52 mags together, but I'm not even sure they were steel..... just vaporized when I struck an arc. Those two mags together with stacked springs would hold 14 rounds, if it would have worked. I think the trick is going to be to use quality mags and weld the top of one to the baseplate of another, then trim out the baseplate for the rounds to pass through. If I end up doing this, I will probably keep the capacity to about 12 to keep the length reasonable.
muttman

Postby Garandman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:44 am

Dansammo.com has new Serbian m57 mags. Best price is 4 for 100$ shipped. Down to 30 $ for one.
Wideners.com also has new mags from Serbia, a little more.
From what I've read, most of the new cz 52 mags come from Taiwan. Unlees you buy them from Czech-Point USA. (Google them).
And I'd say you already have the most. Highly modified Tokarev in the USA, if not the would..
Keep us posted.
Garandman
Sr.Member

Postby muttman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:53 am

Also Garandman, to avoid hijacking the trigger jobs thread, I will comment on the compact tok idea here.

The M88's are cool, but I was thinking more along the lines of a para warthog, when compared to a 1911. I could section 2 inches out of the slide of a M57 and easily shorten the grip 1.5 inches. The only real problem I see is the barrel link geometry. If the barrel is shortened that much I'm not sure the barrel lugs will drop far enough to clear the slide lugs.
muttman

Next

Return to Your Tokarev