Romanian TTC Makeover

Talk about your Tokarev pistols or rifles.

Romanian TTC Makeover

Postby flyandscuba » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:23 pm

This Romanian TTC (Tokarev) was acquired in a trade deal. I've always wanted to play with the powerful 7.62x25 cartridge -- and this was an opportunity to do so.

This TTC was a Cold War relic, with a manufacture date of 1953. The basic pistol and internals were excellent -- but years of military use and/or storage left the finish in somewhat of a beater status...

Here is the before picture -- when I picked it up in the trade:

For this makeover project, I decided to take advantage of Tim Barry's local to Pensacola operation, as well as the excellent special he is currently running to Cerakote handguns for $80 with a lightning fast turn-around time! Here, you can see the Romanian TTC wearing "carbon black" Cerakote that Tim applied last night.

Prior to taking the pistol to Tim, I disassembled it and retained the bits and pieces that were not going to be coated. Then, I used a Dremel tool with felt polishing wheel on the LOWEST possible RPM setting and MAAS Metal Polishing Creme to remove the original finish and as many of the nicks and imperfections as I could without really beginning to take off significant metal. I gave the parts to be finished to Tim - and he completed the metal prep and performed his Cerakote "magic" in exemplary fashion.

We were both pleasantly surprised how well the parts of this old MilSurp pistol came out of the oven!

In addition to the Cerakote in "carbon black", I have ordered custom wrap-around grips in walnut with an oiled and stippled finish. Those are coming from Marschal Grips in England and will take most likely 2 months to arrive. You can view the excellent pistol grips for various makes andmodels at http://www.marschalgrips.com

Next, I have ordered a compensator/muzzle brake that replaces the barrel bushing from Gun Parts Warehouse. (http://www.gunpartswarehouse.com/tt33.htm).

Finally, I ordered two magazine bases with finger rest from BuyMilSurp.com (https://www.buymilsurp.com/magazine-base-metal-tt33-pistol-p-3350.html)

I will take and post additional pictures of the completely finished project -- that I believe you will agree gives this old rather odd looking pistol a different look and nice makeover. Stay tuned for that - but I thought you guys might like to see this interim step with the Cerakote applied, in the event you have some "beaters" of your own you might want to dress up!

In summary, I highly recommend Tim for any custom refinish work you may want or need -- and best of all, He'll do things exactly like you want, and currently can offer extremely fast turnaround times for his work.

You can contact Tim at:

Baywatch Arms & Accessories
PMB 362
40 West Nine Mile Road #2
Pensacola, Florida. 32534

(850) 377-2654

tim@baywatcharms.com
http://www.baywatcharms.com

Thanks Tim!
flyandscuba
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night!
flyandscuba

Re: Romanian TTC Makeover

Postby flyandscuba » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:24 pm

The compensator showed up in today's mail. Installation was simple -- merely replace the original barrel bushing with the compensator. I think that it made the TTC look a little better...

I expect the magazine base/finger extensions to arrive soon. The custom walnut grips with oiled and stippled finish will probably not show up for a couple of months.

I hope to take this "flame thrower" out to a range this week for a test run! :)
flyandscuba

Postby Garandman » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:52 pm

looks good. too bad there is no easy patch for the unnecessary safety. as a project, i bought a stripped t54 frame and had a buddy weld in all the added holes. it'll look great when i get them filed down. I shake to much. i'lll probably have one of my brothers help. I have a russian 1941 slide, cccp grips, yugo trigger , return spring, sliide release and slide clip installed, or ready to install.
i also got all thee slide parts. just need a hammer assy, recoil spring assy, and barrel bushing and it will be running. i can borrow the needed parts from one of my others just to see what nneds tweaking. gotta get a half dozen mags. and a few m57 mags as well. the bluing on that russian slide is to nice not to finish...
look forward to your range report.
Garandman
Sr.Member

Postby fuzzy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:12 am

Nice looking refinish on it. MIne is really in very good shape, finish wise and it too is a 1953. I'm really interested in that compensator as to how well it works. It looks awesome on the front end and it's on my wish list no matter what. I'm getting another "53" for my wife and I'm sure she'd like the compensator also.

I've heard so much about the penetrating power of the round, so a couple of weeks ago I shot a huge piece of 1/4" boiler plate that was set up on a hill and hit it at about a 45 degree angle. While I didn't expect it to go through it, I was very surprised when I saw the 4 rather deep dents the round put in it. That's shooting some milsurp through it. Over all, I just love the gun, more so than my brand new S&W Sigma chamber in .40 S&W.
fuzzy

Postby flyandscuba » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:44 pm

I realized that I never posted my "final" make-over picture for this project...

flyandscuba

Postby Garandman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:30 am

Nice. Marschall grips??
Garandman
Sr.Member

Postby flyandscuba » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Yes - he makes great grips!
flyandscuba

Postby routeus1 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:35 am

dream machine.... well done!
routeus1
Sr.Member

Return to Your Tokarev