What I don't like about the Tok

Talk about your Tokarev pistols or rifles.

What I don't like about the Tok

Postby fuzzy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:32 pm

Only one thing that consistently drives me crazy with this gun and that's that god awful main spring. So far I've not sent it across the room or into my forehead, but, dayum, it is a pain in the keister when it comes cleaning time.... :)
fuzzy

Re: What I don't like about the Tok

Postby wdwmkr2003 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:39 pm

I am not sure how your taking it out, or putting it back in. I started with mine by moving the bushing then taking out the spring and with reassembly I tried holding down the spring and rotating the barrel bushing. This method bit me every time so I started to put it back together like I would my M-9. Now I have no issues, just make sure your hand is on the spring until you put it back together
wdwmkr2003

Postby fuzzy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:11 pm

That's how I do it, but with the arthritis I have in my hands and thumbs, it's a real challenge to get it back in. Now my Sig P6 and S&W Sigma, not a problem. Leave it to the Russians to do it the hard way. :twisted:

However, that in no way lessens my enthusiasm for the Tok. I love shooting it and now that I've purchased some hollow points for it, I'm starting to carry it when I don't want the bulk of the Sigma 40. I can slip the Tok inside my belt, toss a shirt over it and it hides much easier than either my Sigma or my Sig, and with the hollow points I don't have to worry about it taking out the 5 people standing behind my target... :o
fuzzy

Postby yosemitesam » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:53 pm

Field Strip and Reassembly takes some practice. The Tokarevs is a breeze compared to the Cold 1911s. They will almost take your head off when the come out. Practice makes perfect.
yosemitesam

Postby Garandman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:43 pm

you can get a yugo m57. they have the recoil spring on a guide rod. i've been using the insert from behind method on tokarevs since i was a kid. if you don' t want another tokarev at this time, try and fing a yugo barrel bushing and recoil spring assy. they will likely fit. i put together a tok with parts from 3 countries. it funtions fine by hand. i just need to find an extractor pin that will fit my russian slide.
Garandman
Sr.Member

Postby routeus1 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:51 am

...see "The Official Soviet 7.62mm Handgun Manual" (1954), translation by Major J.F.Gebhardt, USA.(ret)

Available from him directly, email him. Russian Military Translatons
routeus1
Sr.Member

Postby PakTok » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:21 pm

routeus1 wrote:...see "The Official Soviet 7.62mm Handgun Manual" (1954), translation by Major J.F.Gebhardt, USA.(ret)

Available from him directly, email him. Russian Military Translatons

Regardless of what the manual says, I find the recoil spring easier to control by installing the barrel bushing last. Step 1: Assemble the slide with barrel and recoil spring assembly in place. Step 2: Slide the frame onto the slide assembly. Step 3: With muzzle pointing up, press the recoil spring into the slide and install the barrel bushing, ala the 1911.

The problem with installing it according to the manual is that you are trying to compress a portion of the spring, instead of the entire spring. This make the compression much harder to control. You are also trying to compress it at an angle in open space.

By confining the spring in the slide and compressing the spring vertically, the compression required is less and the likelihood of the spring going its own way is eliminated.

This is just my opinion. Others may find the "official" installation method easier. (I think the Russians just wanted to demonstrate that they did not copy John Moses Browning's design.)
PakTok

Postby routeus1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:23 pm

Opinion granted... what works for you is good. There is all ways the manual to refer to.. works for me, makes more sense.
routeus1
Sr.Member

Postby PakTok » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:58 pm

routeus1 wrote:Opinion granted... what works for you is good. There is all ways the manual to refer to.. works for me, makes more sense.

I could not tell from your reply which works for you, the manual's way or the 1911 way. Not that it matters, but could you clarify. Which works for you?
PakTok

Postby routeus1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:25 pm

Hello,... the manual. They made it...
routeus1
Sr.Member

Next

Return to Your Tokarev