Reloading Tokarev

Want to offer a suggestion? Have a question about something on the forum? Ask them here!

Reloading Tokarev

Postby wdwmkr2003 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:40 am

I am thinking about starting to reload my own Tok. I got the press picked out, but what about everything else? Brass, bullets, powder and die sets. I am looking at the Lee Progressive press set at Cabela's, anyone have any insight on it? What about the types of powder and measurements, is there a book on this? Will I get it with my press or do I need to pay extra for it? I have some S&B brass to start off with, anyone know how they are for reloading? Lastly what about the Primer? I hear Federal has the best brand out there with the least amount of failures, this true?
wdwmkr2003

Re: Reloading Tokarev

Postby cydneysman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:51 am

ive been using tula primers and havent had a problem yet, bout 1000 into the case. also lee makes a dies set for the tokarev, its steel and works but u need case lube. my loads are working well for me as i also use a lee progressive pro 1000. i use 30 carbine bullets. rockymountainreloading.com has plated 110gr 95.00 per 1000. these work well. also there is a guy on gunbroker.com that has the 30 carbine lead 115gr, very nice bullets by the way, for like 70.00 per 1000 i think. chestnutridgesupply.com has starline brass for 18.00 per hundred. i use titegroup powder as its low volume high pressure. watch for double charges. get the factory crimp die also. also the oal of the new loaded round should be around 1.369 or so. check it often as it will change on you. for the 110gr plated im using .46 auto disk with titegroup, for the 115gr im using .43 disk with titegroup. make sure you are getting a complete size to the base of the brass when decapping or they wont chamber. ask me how i know. hope this helps
cydneysman

Postby gandog56 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:36 am

There are about a bazillion books on reloading out there. The one I found most useful was "The ABC's Of Reloading" by Bill Chevelier. He covers most of a newcomers options and defines a lot of the terminology. Also there are many youtube how-to videos on this showing the differences between all the press types out there. You're asking right off if one of the more complicated presses, a progressive press is right for you. I think if you are just starting out a single stage press is better as you learn more of the things a press is doing on it's down-stroke. A progressive press is nice in that every time you crank the handle, a completed round spits out. But I think you learn more of the 'guts' of what you are doing when you only have one thing happening with each press stroke. You will also find that you cannot have too many cartridge "Recipe" books. These will give you the type of powder, primer, estimated bullet speeds, pressures, and cartridge overall lengths you will need. In addition to the obvious dies, presses, brass cases, lead, etc you will also need to purchade. It's daunting at first, but once you start pumping out that cheaper than any at the store ammo, it starts feeling good.
gandog56

Postby wdwmkr2003 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:19 pm

Thank you both for the replies. Here is another question: I have been saving the brass of my S&B ammo as well as some Surplus that I have come across. Now I can reuse the S&B, but the Surplus is Berdaned primed so some work needs to be done to the brass before I prime it, but is it worth it? How many times can I reuse the Brass?
wdwmkr2003

Postby gandog56 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:19 pm

In short on the Berdan question? NO! the primers are next to impossible to find in this country, they make like 5-6 different sizes and you have to know which ones you need. You cannot deprime them using any kind of modern dies, it takes either a hydraulic remover which is messy, or a special tool, which is very time consuming...and that's including you can even GET the primers.
gandog56

Return to Suggestions, Questions and Tech Support