Help with M57 Issue

Want to offer a suggestion? Have a question about something on the forum? Ask them here!

Help with M57 Issue

Postby Calhoun » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:48 pm

Took my "new" M57 Tokarev out today for its first firing since I bought it last year. After maybe the sixth mag today, I was unable to remove the empty magazine. Noted the "recoil plug" (owners manual, illustration 11) extending maybe half an inch beyond the plain of the end of the barrel. At the tip of the plug, there was a small pin sticking upward at its tip The slide was stuck open, back maybe an inch from full closed position.

Was able to remove the mag only after sliding back the "fork like lock" (per illustration #7) and pushing the slide lock slightly to the left. Removed the magazine, pushed the recoil plug back into place after depressing the small pin, and proceed to fire another mag. Same result, unable to remove the empty mag, so I repeated the steps above to remove the mag and shut it down at that point.

Was shooting new PPU brand factory ammo, not some of the crappy surplus stuff I've read about.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
Calhoun

Re: Help with M57 Issue

Postby Garandman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:19 pm

Welcome to the club. I've never heard of this happening before. One of the drawbacks of the Yugoslavia design change.
I'd suggest ( if I understand correctly ) that the pin holding the recoil spring assy together is walking out. Try peeking it in place, or perhaps blue Locktite.
A new recoil spring assy is another way to go, but they run fifty bucks on gunbroker.
A third suggestion would be to get the parts as used in the Russian, Polish, Romanian, or Chinese tokarevs. Much cheaper.
Garandman
Sr.Member

Postby Bruin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:45 pm

Welcome to the forum Calhoun. Garandman is right, the pin is working its way out. You need to flare the ends of the pin. I have found that a small finish nail punch Sharpened to a point works best for this job. The pin is small and it won’t take much force to flare the end so go easy.
Push the spring as far down the shaft as possible and clamp it there with small vice grips. Have some one help you by holding the spring assembly on an anvil or a piece of metal with one side of the pin down. Punch the center of the pin with your punch and a hammer. Now do the same thing to the other side of the pin.
Bruin

Postby Garandman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks Bruin. You explained it far better than me.
Garandman
Sr.Member

Return to Suggestions, Questions and Tech Support