Howdy from Texas

All new registered members please introduce yourself here. We love to know all about our new members.

Howdy from Texas

Postby centextokarev » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:05 pm

Hey guys, thought I would introduce myself a bit before I pilfer for miscellaneous parts :lol:

In all seriousness I bought one of those new M70a's by Zastava, personally I love it and it is my EDC(I feel it is safer than other designs). Its simplicity amazes me, and has been more than reliable.

I reload 9mm and would make some pretty stout rounds which felt extremely uncomfortable in my Ruger LC9, however my Tokarev eats em like skittles.

Long story short I have fallen in lust with this design, I bought a slide, frame, and misc parts to build two more Toks. At the moment I've been refinishing one slide as an experiment. Went to work and rasp'ed, sanded, sandblast, then glass beaded. To be followed by more sanding then a cold blue. (I know this isn't ideal but I like projects, and I'm sure its gonna look good)

Pictures or it didn't happen, right?

The picture below is a m57 slide from ebay, sorry if I messed up a treasured collectors item or anything guys, however it had some *serious* holster wear.

------------------------------------

Now a question: I understand slight fitting differences, but will a Yugo M57 slide work on a Norinco 213 frame? (assuming I use a 9mm setup)

PS: What is up with the lack of [cheap] parts for this gun, I know some warehouses of far are stuffed with surplus to the ceiling haha

Thanks for reading !
Attachments
CAM00214.jpg
CAM00214.jpg (56.88 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
centextokarev

Re: Howdy from Texas

Postby Garandman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:03 pm

I congratulate you on your choice, and stupidity. I too built a Tokarev from parts. 1941 dated Russian slide And internals. Chinese t 54 frame, barrel. Yugoslavian m57 hammer pact, and trigger.
Cost me more than if I'd bought an excellent Polish.
I kept waiting for the surplus parts to turn up. But it seems the Poles were smart and bought them all there. They turn up on eBay, and gunbroker.com. . I got most of my parts on gunbroker.
All the cheap barrels are gone. Your best bet is to buy from jgsales.com gunsmithing specials, and strip them for parts. Get what you need and sell the extras.
Frames can be bought pretty cheap on GB. From guys who have stripped what they need.
I think Simpson's Ltd has Polish, and Romanian frames cheap.
The good thing about the communist tt 33's is the all use the same magazines. While the Yugoslavia m 57's and m70A' s use a longer 9 round mag. New yugo mags are being made, but twice the cost of surplus. And the 9mm M70 a is near impossible to find for under one hundred dollars. Cheaper to buy a new pistol with two mags.
Garandman
Sr.Member

Postby centextokarev » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:50 pm

buzzkill bro ;)

Well anyways, I've already got a good amount of parts gathering, I'm committed. That gunsmithing special might be the ticket... Go figure the barrel will probably be the jacked up part. Still seems a bit pricey in all relativity to me... Regardless, like I said, I need projects.

On a side note, those m88a's seem pretty cool, waiting for a $200 + free shipping deal to come around again...
centextokarev

Postby centextokarev » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:54 pm

Well here is what the slide refinish looks like. Times like this I wish I had a better camera. . . Used Birchwood Casey Perma Blue (Cold Blue). After a significant amount of prep work I'd have to say it looks pre-he-tey slick, especially for my first time. The right tools and prep work are everything for such a picky product like cold bluing solution.

Process:
*Rasped sides
*200 grit paper on sides
*320 grit paper to smooth out
*50 psi aluminium oxide blast
*50 psi glass beading (this is the ticket, worlds best invention)
*0000 steel wool
*applied cold blue on and off about 3-4 times, smooth with #0000 steel wool each time. (Made some mistakes, live and learn, next time will be superb results)
*There was some immediate (within 30 minutes) surface rusting on inside (I didn't apply very well, and/or degrease as well as outside), cleaned it up with
steel wool, reblued and left it on for a significant amount of time, now its all black inside :)

I'm not sure if you could get crazy with polishing before and after applying bluing. Simple rag wheel with some Rouge jewellers polish would probably work.

If I can get a hold of a better camera I'll be sure to post them. :geek:
Attachments
tokarev slide renished.jpg
tokarev slide renished.jpg (116.12 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
centextokarev

Return to New Members Introduction